Monday, August 31, 2009

Outdoors

Among our family's continuous journey to get back to the earth we had left in El Salvador we sought to explore the nature of what surrounded us. We always ended up at the end of dirt roads leading to the next camp oasis. One of such times we found Harris Park. Just a mere two hours south of our home down 1.5 hours of unpaved rough terrain it lay in a bed of trees and canyons caressed by the Walla Walla river.
Harris Park possesses the most giddy camping laughter. The Spirit of the river chills the bones but causes an enormous amount of teeth chattering joy. Friends, songs and the smell of the fire is deep entrenched within the bushes. Canyons carved with memories of many hikes, sweat, the occasional emotional breakdown and conversion. The realization of the natural human experience away from everyday submission. We loved to camp as a family. I was able to recently share once again this experience with my little family and a group of some very beautiful and wonderful people.
Detroit Lake 2009. Many little dusty hands, one strong boat, one bumpy raft, sweet refreshing water, salamander rescue city, one large orange cloud, good conversation but mostly not enough marshmallows....









3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the picture of the dock!!! So cool. And I'd have to agree about the marshmallows. I needed some more. Hey, let's do S'mores night at work on Friday!!! And let's plan our next camping trip.............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not enough marshmellows???? You are an ANIMAL!! I had so much fun and it was tooooo quite and lonely once everyone left! I have a plan for next year.....I love your writing by the way. It is so beautiful. One word. BOOK.

    ReplyDelete