A very famous Latin folk song always resounds in the walls of cement, mud, or tin houses around the Americas in the New Year.
It translates to this;
I will not forget the old year
Because it has left me very good things
I will not forget the old year
Because it has left me very good things
Because it has left me very good things
It left me a goat
It left me a black female donkey
A female horse
And a good mother -in-law.
These lyrics are accompanied with swinging of hips and mixed matched steps. This song of my infancy has always brought a smile on my face and a shrill of excitement in my life. Perhaps its the fact that it evokes the female spirit. May be it is the simplicity of gratefulness of the year passed. May be its the fact that as a child I always wanted a goat, donkey, and a horse. May be its the fact that as an adult I still would love a goat, donkey, and a horse on a little ranch.
2009 I will not forget you. You have brought me...
a warm home
a singing and dancing family
two giggly girls
tears
dreams and intentionsI will not forget the old year for it has brought me good things.
Your culture inspires me and confuses me all at the same time, Georgina! I love it!
ReplyDelete