We rushed through our day to finally come home for dinner. Once we entered our home and our breath returned to our lungs, our music began to play. The hands that had for centuries prepared over fire wood and coals became mine and moved in thee ways of a people primal. Refried beans and fried plantains is what they prepared. Together sweet and savory coupled with cream.
As the days tangle into months and the months into years I begin to see in my children more in the ties that bind our blood.
Ceci and Ana got their ears pierced. Both with grace and great expectation. Cecilia had wanted this for a long time and Ana was coaxed by a oven baked pretzel.
When I look at them with the gems in their brown earlobes I am drawn to the contrast of their skin with their new adornment. It has become a combination greatness. Greatness of a culture forgotten. Greatness of a beauty centuries old. To my girls I give the combination sweet and savory of greatness that they may never forget who they are and where they came from but most importantly may they never escape the responsibility to seek it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment