Monday, June 8, 2009

Bailemos....





My great grandfather lived in the tropical, volcano abiding countryside of El Salvador. The town filled with humble souls and bountiful hearts. The father of my grandfather was a man with a tune in his step at all times. The local village band consisted of my great aunts and uncles and cousins of many colorful backgrounds. Music was the upmost diversion. Music was the coping of life. It is quite undescribable the importance. I remember when I had the opportunity to travel to Zimbabwe and heard for the first time the drums of their native peoples, I heard the rythmn of the songs of my people in the rural village of my ancestry. It was a moment of circular proportions in which we all became connected by some great force and power, as if in our veins the pounded the same beat in unison.

That gift was passed on down to our celebrations of today.

My brother is the quintessential troubadour musician. My mother, father and I dance together every holiday, birthday, cloudy day, sunny day, rainy day or any worthy occasion until our legs are sore or we are out of breath! With a simple bailemos..(let's dance), its on.

I knew it was in my blood and in my past. I underestimated that it would also impact my Ana and Cecilia. Ana now takes forward ball step and back step at 18months of age, reminding me of my Ceci, when I walked in on her at 2 years of age dancing 50s Spanish mambo with my mother, and recently her tap. Now I know that we will all continue to dance proudly as long our legs will ever permit us.

1 comment: